Thursday, May 9, 2013

Poker is Infectious

Every poker player has a poker story. It usually starts off with a friend or a relative or a video or a movie. One of our friends thought it would be a nice idea to talk about his poker story, so here we are.

Once upon a time...

"I played poker a couple of times, but never too seriously. It was online poker. I don't remember which one. I lost interest because it was mostly a fun game and no one took it seriously. Then, almost an year later I was invited to a poker game, by an attractive lady friend. There were about 8 of us and I had a girl to impress. So, we started playing. We played for about 4 hrs. I bombed. I was worse than the worst possible player ever. I was down by 4 buy-ins! At the end of the day I hit it off with the girl, but my ego was bruised. So, I decided I wanted to learn this game. I met a friend who had played a tournament in Goa and I started playing. The first few days were a disaster. But after a week of poker nights every single night, I started getting better. In fact I started winning pretty big!



We soon started having regular poker nights and about 10 people in the group. 6-7 of us were regulars. We usually played in a bedroom, until we found an abandoned pool table. This pool table was the perfect hook. People started pouring in, because it looked pretty professional. Apart from the aesthetics, the regular players' game improved a lot! We used to watch WSOP, Poker After Dark, any and every video we could get our hands on. We talked about tells, strategies, popular bluffs, favorite players and soon it turned from a hobby to a passion. Initially it was just a tug, but soon it was an unquenchable thirst! I had to watch more videos, read more blogs, books. That feeling was wonderful.

The best part about playing poker was, I made some amazing friends that I'm pretty sure I will always stay in touch with. I have moved to a new city, but I still look for games and new people to play with. A dream come true would be to play in pro tournaments and if possible, one day, in WSOP. I am in love."

Pretty nice, huh? We love poker stories and we would love to hear more of them. So, mail your poker story to pokabungaindia@gmail.com

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, like every other story involving an attractive lady friend :P

    ReplyDelete